Friday, August 5, 2011

On Stillness (with a capital "S")

“In a tiny town in western North Dakota a little girl offered a gem of spiritual wisdom I find myself returning to when my life becomes too noisy and distractions overwhelm me: ‘Silence reminds me to take my soul with me wherever I go.’” (Kathleen Norris, Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith)
 
Not too long ago, I mentioned to a dear friend that I am beginning a journey toward "embracing Stillness". I've come to a point in my life where I've been going non-stop, filling my time with others--trying blindly to embrace community, and I've been tripping all over the place. (Community is one of the greatest things we're given, but it can also be a devastating idol.) I've even run smack into a few people, & it hurt everyone involved. So, I'm taking a step back: re-focusing, and re-discovering the practice of prayer. Not just talking to God--in spurts, throughout the day--but listening to Him, as well.
 
To be sure, I've a long way to go before embracing Stillness truly becomes part of my regular routine. There's so much more I want to write on this, but I'm rusty at writing. So, for now, I'll end with these three thoughts:
 
When I'm constantly caught up in a whirlwind of socializing, I cannot think clearly. When I cannot think clearly, the leash on my self-obsessed nature snaps, & I bound haphazardly into the lives of those around me, in an almost Edward Hyde-like manner.
 
When I take the time to slow down and withdraw for a moment or two, the eyes of my mind and heart have a chance to adjust from the blur of the whirlwind. Better thoughts are then thought, and better seeds are sown.
 
When I'm still and silent, I really am reminded to be conscious of my soul--just like the author quoted above, & the little girl who shared that wisdom with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment